Create Content Emails
Content Emails are emails that contain social content specifically curated for each member of your audience to review and share. Emails can be used to highlight accomplishments, engage inactive users, boost adoption, re-engage past users, and increase engagement.
In this article, we'll review how Content Emails work and how to create and edit Content Emails. Let's get started!
🔹 This is available on the Teams, Enterprise, and Unlimited plans.
🔸 This feature is accessible to Admin.
How it works
Content Emails are emails that contain posts from EveryoneSocial that email recipients have not seen. These emails are specifically curated for each person and are based on the Content Email's audience. Content Email audiences are formed using Segments, which can be user groups, a CSV file of non-registered users, or a combination of the two. Once a Content Email's audience is determined, Admins can designate content, and send emails on a recurring or non-recurring basis.
Content Emails can include up to 10 EveryoneSocial posts and may include three different content types. Here are the content types and what to consider for registered users' and non-registered users' experiences.
- Featured: A link to a specific post in EveryoneSocial. This post is sent regardless if the email recipient has viewed it. Be sure to use this for public posts to avoid errors resulting from audiences interacting with private posts.
- Group: A specific Group's post in EveryoneSocial. This content is only sent if the Group has new content published during the specified timeframe AND if the email recipient has not viewed the new content. Be sure to use this for public posts to avoid errors resulting from audiences interacting with private posts.
- Timeline: A post from the user's Timeline in EveryoneSocial. This post is only sent if the user did not view the post. This content type can not be sent to non-registered users.
Content Emails are sent based on schedules, which determine when emails are sent, how often, and how far back content can be pulled.
- Recurring: Content sent at regular designated intervals.
- Non-recurring: Content sent on a one-time basis.
🔹NOTE: EveryoneSocial looks for posts to include based on the schedule selected. Recurring Content Emails can have content added that was published after the last Content Email was sent or that was published in timeframe selected. For example, Content Emails sent daily would have posts included if the posts were published within the last 24 hours. If the email is non-recurring, then EveryoneSocial looks for posts published within the last 30 days.
Here's one example of a Content Email. In this example, the Admin used a hashtag for the subject line, added some links to best practices, included a fun quote, and shared a tidbit about scheduling posts. Posts were added and the footer message was inserted at the end of the email. You can see the intro > posts > footer are clearly defined by a container surrounding each section.
Create Content Emails
Admins can create new Content Emails by following these steps.
- Go to Admin > Content Emails.
- Click New Email.
- Customize the email.
See the next section for customization options.
- Click Preview to preview the email.
- Click Save Email.
Once the email is saved, it will be sent to recipients according to the schedule set.
🔹Recipients will only receive an email if they have not viewed the content and if the email has new content available for the selected content types.
Content Emails have many customizable fields to create a unique experience for email recipients. The list below includes all customizable fields and how they might be used.
- Email Title: Only Admins see Content Email titles. Titles are references and help separate Content Email data.
- Recipients: The audience selected for the email. Recipients are selected using Segments, which can be user groups, a CSV file of non-registered users, or a combination of the two.
- When: The frequency for the Content Email to be sent. Emails can be recurring or non-recurring.
🔸 Recurring emails can be sent daily, weekly, or monthly. This schedule automatically sends recipients Content Emails if there has been new content a recipient has not viewed that was published after the last Content Email was sent.
🔸 Non-recurring emails are sent one-time. This choice sends recipients a Content Email if there is a post that has not been viewed that was published in the last 7 days.
- From Address: The "From" address is what recipient sees as the email sender. Everything before the @ symbol may be customized. To enable a custom domain, contact your CSM.
- Reply-To Address: This is the email address that replies from the recipient will be sent to.
- Subject: The subject line recipients see when they receive the Content Email.
- Custom banner image: An image added to the top of the email. The ideal size is 580x200 pixels. Images smaller than 580px are automatically centered, and images larger than 580px are automatically resized to 580px with an aspect-ratio preserved height.
Banner image URL: A URL applied to an uploaded custom banner image. This allows recipients to click the banner to go to a URL.
- Intro Message: The intro message appears at the top of the email before any posts are added to the email. Check out Content Email Best Practices for more tips on how to strategically use this field.
- Footer Message: The footer message appears after Content Email posts and is center-justified.
Content Emails are only sent if posts are able to be included with the email. Let's break down what to consider in the Content section.
- Order of importance: Content is given a position of importance, with 1 being the first piece of content recipients will see. The lower the number, the closer to the top the content will appear in the Content Email.
- Type: Type determines where the content will be pulled from if the content has not been viewed and meets criteria for the content publication timeframe. There are three options available.
- Featured: Featured content are always included, even if the user has viewed the content. This is a great selection for reminders and important campaigns! To add a featured Post, find the Post, select the three-dots menu, and click Copy Link. Paste the Link into the Source field and press Enter. A blue checkmark appears.
- Group: Group content is engagement-specific, meaning the content will be included if the recipient has not already viewed it. Add Group content by typing a Group name and selecting the appropriate Group.
🔸Private Groups can be used to send content, regardless if recipients are members of the Group. However, the post must be shareable and anyone outside of the Group must view the content anonymously, otherwise an error will display when attempting to view the content if recipients are logged in to EveryoneSocial and they are not members of the private Group.
- Timeline: Timeline content is engagement-specific, meaning the content will be included if the recipient has not already viewed it. Timeline content is specific to EveryoneSocial users and will differ based on each user's Group membership. In contrast to the Group type items where unengaged content from a specific Group is displayed, Timeline type items present unengaged content from across all groups for which the recipient is a member. If your email is structured to send out to any non-registered users, these recipients will not be sent Timeline content as they don't have an account and therefore do not have a Timeline.
🔸 When selecting content types, remember the recipients, and try to ensure the selected content types are accessible to them.
- Source: Where the content type is sourced from. Group and Featured content types require an entry. The Group content type requires Admins to start typing and to select a Group from the Workspace. The Featured content type requires Admins enter a Post URL for the featured link.
You now have all the tools available to create Content Emails. Check out our other Content Email articles to learn more about this feature.